1.18.2011

26.2 or BUST! Week 10

Goal:  26.2 miles in 4:30 or less and run the whole time!
I wish i had this whole blog idea earlier in my training since we are already 8 weeks in.  I'm working on the F.I.R.S.T. program marathon schedule.  Click the link to see it.  Every time at the beginning of the week I'll update what week i am currently on if you are actually following that closely. (I know I'm probably reaching with that one!)
Since there was no school Monday for MLK i did my key run #1 (sprints) that day... 7.5 for the hards and 5.5 on the rests.  This coming off a very hard 13-miler on Saturday in the freakin' freezing cold!  This seemed like a cake walk that i got into a good grove.  The problem with these runs is that usually people next to you on the treadmill at the gym look at your like you're crazy.  I'm sure its not my grunting (only occasionally!) or my profuse sweating (i don't smell!) or even my triumphant arms in the air (only at the very end!) but the fact that you raise the treadmill up to "sprint" for 1/2 mile and then rest for 1:30.  No one knows your timing, intervals, or how your training and they think you are just weird--guess i won't be making any friends??


So more about the Marathon:
March 26, 2011 is the BIG day!  When i signed up for the race i was really excited--theeeeen i started training 8 weeks ago-ha!  I'm glad my sister Maureen/Moe is doing it with me, even though we don't get to train together very often.  Also, another friend of ours is doing it, but he's got a few steps on me in the speed dept so he does his own training as well.
Those that know me know that March 26th is a very important day!  On that day in 2002 my father passed away from cancer.  He was a very fit person who loved to run and workout, so this was my way of running this marathon "with" him. 
Lately though i've been nursing some injuries.  From last years half-marathon training i earned myself some shin splints/stress factures in my shins.  Then this fall (october 23ish) due to soccer/running i tore an abdominal muscle (Rectus abdominus) which is practically in the pelvis.  I named him ELVIS.. ha elvis in the pelvis!  I reference him often and talk about him like he is a member of my family--i mean everyone has that ONE family member that is always there but ya really don't wanna be around--thats Elvis!  And he just won't go away! Then just a few days ago i started having a plantar fasciitis flare up as well. 
Seems as though i'm falling apart but making it to this marathon and running the whole thing is soooo important to me!

3 comments:

  1. I am in love with blogs lately so of course I enjoyed reading yours :) I am very excited for you and love that it's on March 26th. Your dad would be sooooooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Keep up the good work. I wish I enjoyed running. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing Superstar!!! I'm so, so proud of you and all of your hard work! xoxo

    ReplyDelete