3.20.2011

my week in a nutshell...

Tuesday:  ELVIS HATES IW"s and so do i!  This was 5x1K sprints that i did on the treadmill of course.  I did my usual 2min30sec increment warm ups, then i did the 1K's at 7.5 which is an 8min/mile and i did the 400m rest intervals at 5.5.  I realized after reading all these times that marathon training has made me slooooooow!  The classic line of "Its a marathon not a sprint" that people like to throw out there relating to many things is so true for me too.  When you are used to running short distances like 5K's and 5 mile races, and you run 7:20's etc, its so hard to now go to this level.  I feel like i have lost so much of my "speed" (i call it MY speed because to me its speedy even though to most others its not lol) and running an 8 min/mi for .62 miles is now a serious workout.  Doing 5 times is even MORE serious!  While running with my fingers pointed to keep track of what number i was on, i had a talk with Elvis.  I told him i did not need his friendly reminders and nudging any longer.  I get it, he's here to stay, so stop being so damn annoying all the time.  He wanted to tell me he didn't like doing the sprints i take it.  Well he'll get his when i rest for 4 weeks after the race and hopefully he goes the heck away!

Wednesday:  Since we are getting so close to Marathon time, and Elvis is still with me, i don't want to "over do it" by working out AND playing soccer.  Is soccer the smartest thing i should be doing with Elvis and 10 days before the big day???  Umm NO you are correct, however, running is an activity i do, but i don't want it run my whole life.  Soccer is something i love doing, and i love my teammates and i don't want to let them down.  So its just about being smart.  So no working out if i have soccer on Wednesday!

Thursday:  Today, we tempo!  2easy-3tempo-1easy.  Ha, i laugh in this tempo runs face!  I went to Wow Wall today to run.  I was giving my marathon pants a "trial run" and felt as though i looked downright RIDICULOUS wearing them, so i went to Wall, and went to the tiny upstairs part, where no one could see me.  Why wouldn't i want anyone seeing me you ask?!??!  Well, my marathon pants are, umm, a bit unique to say the least.  They are obnoxious Kelly Green with white shamrocks all over them!  Yes, i went to the gym, on St. Patrick's Day, wearing obnoxious Kelly Green running tights with shamrocks on them!  And it was a darn good thing i did!  I got dressed and was skeptical about how they were fitting.  I got to the gym and started my 2 miles easy (at 10min./mile pace) and was feeling that they kept sliding down.  I was constantly stretching and pulling them up because they felt like they wouldn't stay up!  For the rest of the 2 easy, and the 3 tempo (at about 6.5-7.0 on the tread) i tried not to think about it, or allow myself to stop to adjust them.  I just got 'in the zone' of running and just kinda tugged at them every once in a while.  I did the 1 mile easy cool down at 10 min mile, and then was finished with my run.  But my gym visit wasn't over.  From the time i started to the time i finished the gym got a bit more crowded.  So i had to make my way down the stairs and out the door with as few people seeing me as possible.  I got a few stares from these girls and i just said "Yes i know i look ridiculous but i am running a marathon in these pants possibly and i needed to try them out!"  They just turned away.  Ugh!!
Needless to say its back to the drawing board on the marathon outfit.  I have a pair that i wore for the turkey trot that look like a pack of highlighters exploded on me, which i might have to use as my default.  Its okay though, while wearing those pants, there is NO WAY my family will miss me while running this race of 13,000 people!!!

see the next blog for the sat long run...

No comments:

Post a Comment