3.08.2011

"Go get the car...Hurry!" Oh my!!

We are in need of a serious update!!
Wednesday-- Home right after school to try to fight off this sickness!  I knew i had soccer Wednesday night so i counted that as my cross train workout, and was sure to rest and relax all day so i wouldn't get sick!
Thursday--Well, rest Wednesday didn't help a thing.  Really not feeling well today.  A slight cough and some sniffles.  Not to mention the fever i decided to develop today.  101.2 at 7pm, 101.1 overnight.  Didn't gym today after school which meant i missed my 8 mile tempo run.  CRAAAP!
Friday--At about  1am, while i was lying wide awake and unable to sleep, i called out of work for today.  The fever over night kicked my butt.  Decided to skip gym AGAIN today while i rested in bed till about noon/1pm and then on the couch for the rest of the day.  Tried to go to bed kind of early today since was up all night last night.  Didn't work, i was up again all night Friday night.  Fever again 101.3. 

This brings us to...
Saturday--My fever finally broke and i was able to get a few hours of sleep from about 230-7am.  After i woke up, i had major decisions to make.  To run 20 miles, or not to run 20 miles.  When i had no fever, i was actually feeling not so bad.  And surprisingly, for having not slept for 2 days practically, i wasn't a wink tired!  I can NOT explain that.  And with just three weeks until the race, i didn't really have a choice of running or not--i had to give it a try! 
So, we met at the fishing club at 10am for the run--my fever gone for less than 8 hours at that point.  With snacks in my pocket, water bottle on hand, the four of us started out running north to the end of Asbury Park.  When we got there, we turned around and started our trek to Manasquan beach walk.  (20 miles is faaaar!).  The wind coming out of the south the whole way was just brutal!  About 30mph!  When we got to the end of spring lake, off we went into sea girt towards the army camp.  At this point, i was starting to drag behind.  When we got to the army camp, i stopped and used the bathroom there--ugh i hate this problem!  Mike waited with me and Moe and Danny kept going ahead.  When i got out, i was ready to keep going, and on we went to 71, into squan and to the beach.  When we got up there it was about 13.3 miles in.  We turned around and Moe and Danny were still far ahead.  I was really dragging it!  In hindsight, i should have went to my brothers or something because i just should not have been running anymore.  I was turning delirious.  Mike and I got back to the army camp and i stopped to go to the bathroom again.  When i came out, i slumped over and told Mike, i just couldn't go anymore.  I literally had NOTHING in the tank left.  This was at about 15 miles.  He was very reluctant to leave me, but there was no way i could run another step.  So i told him to go ahead and get the car, and come back for me.  He is the best and sprinted the whole 5 miles back in to the car by the way!
So there i was, walking through the streets of sea girt, looking a hot mess i'm sure.  My hands were tingly, my legs were tingly, i was light headed, dry heaving, and just really out of it.  I stopped to sit on someones front lawn for a break, and finally made it into spring lake ocean ave.  I was excited at the prospect of a water fountain at this point but when i got to it, it wasn't working.  Danny so kindly informed me after the fact that you have to hold the button for 5 seconds--doh!  It was windy and cold and i was shivering and i must have seen 800 jeeps that looked JUST like Mike's, until he pulled up to the rescue!  I did make it all the way to the essex and sussex though!  Mike gave me a fresh water that i chugged in 10seconds and drove me back to the fishing club to meet up with the group--i was expecting an "I told you so" but nope--everyone was nice and concerned and it was really comforting!  I have just the best running crew around!
Moe (My sister)--Will run with me even if its practically a walk, and won't ever ask me "How i'm doing?" because she knows that gets old pretty fast.  If she's ahead of me, she is constantly looking over her shoulder to make sure i'm okay!  She always checks on me after the run, and she makes sure i stay hydrated too!
Danny--Will stop any time i need to stop, run next to me and listen to me complain for miles, and share his water when i don't have any more.  He will tell me our pace and our mileage even after i've already asked him 50 times!  He'll never leave me behind and is always asking me how i'm doing and how i'm feeling.
Mike--Would have run 50 miles to the car not just 5 if i needed him to.  I know he ran as fast as humanly possible because he knew i was in trouble.  I could ask him for any favor any time any place and he would be there for me in a heart beat to help me out!  And he also switches GU flavors with me if i have a gross one i don't like and he has a good one!

See, my friends are unlike any other.  We are the best running family and i wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.  And after my debacle of a run this weekend, i know they are there for me always!

1 comment:

  1. kel that could have been anyone of us on saturday! i can't believe that you made it 15 miles. i hope this weekend that you are recovered, and i know you'll do the run with no problem! and keep up the nourishment and nutrition.
    we have a great running group and I am so thankful and grateful for each of you guys!

    ReplyDelete